RSS

belgamonitor ? GUI added

11 Nov

I have added a very simple and primitive GUI to my Belgacom ISP usage monitoring utility, belgamonitor. I must admit that this is my first time doing Ruby/Tk GUI programming. 🙂 So expect a bizarre looking GUI such as this one:

belgamonitor - gui added

belgamonitor - gui added

I have used ActiveState’s Tcl/Tk and Ruby bindings for it. Unfortunately the current mainstream version of Ruby (at least for MS Windows) does not work with Tcl/Tk 8.5 so I had to uninstall 8.5 and install 8.4, I really wish I could have all the latest features of ActiveState Tcl/Tk such as native-looking themes for MS Windows and GNU/Linux.

If you don’t install 8.4 but the brand new version 8.5 of ActiveState’s Tcl/Tk you’ll get an error message similar to the one below when you invoke require 'tk' in your Ruby application:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/tcltklib.so: 126: The specified module could not be found. - c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/tcltklib.so (LoadError)

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on November 11, 2009 in General

 

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: