UPDATE: It seems like it is not easy to describe my problem, so I add more requirements:
I have a language problem. There is not a single language that is readable by all of the followers of this blog. When I write in English some of the followers can’t read. When I write in Turkish some others can’t and when I write in Dutch… You get the point.
So here are the requirements for a WordPress language plug-in that will solve all of my language troubles as far as the current technologies allow:
- First of all, I’m not blogging the same post in multiple languages. I’m not doing manual translations and trying to provide to my visitors the same content in different languages manually.
- I don’t need the Title and comments translated
- The plug-in should have defaultLanguage parameter that I can set globally (its default value should be English).
- The plug-in should have allLanguages parameter that is an array, e.g. [English, Turkish, Dutch, German, Macedonian, Albanian]
- The plug-in should have targetLanguages parameter that is an array. This array is allLanguages – defaultLanguage (if there is no extra mark up in my blog post), e.g. targetLanguages = [Turkish, Dutch, German, Macedonian, Albanian]
- When I don’t do anything else the plug-in should assume that my blog post is in the defaultLanguage and it should automatically provide links to translate it into each of the targetLanguages.
- I should be able to set the defaultLanguage for the current blog post, e.g. by marking it with [defaultLanguage = German] at the beginning of the post text.
- If I mark up a part of my blog post with another language, different from the defaultLanguage, such as currentLanguage = Turkish, then there should be a layer close to that region and it should provide translation links for targetLanguages = allLanguages – currentLanguage, e.g. in that case (currentLanguage = Turkish) then the targetLanguages = [English, Dutch, German, Macedonian, Albanian] within the scope of the marked up region.
- And of course when I hover over the translation links they should provide a help message describing themselves in the target language (e.g. “translate to English”, “Türkçeye çevir”, “Vertaal in het Nederlands”, etc.)
- I?m not interested in the translation of WP themes at all. The menu, theme, links, dates, etc. can stay the same.
- I?m not interested in automatically detecting the language of the text, or even worse automatic detection of the language of the viewer (e.g. I have visitors who live in Belgium and who don?t know English, Dutch, or French)
- I need the plug-in do the translation on-the-fly using Google Translate. The results need not be stored anywhere. Everything should be dynamically generated.
Maybe there is a WordPress language plug-in that does everything above and even more but I couldn’t find it. So I’d definitely appreciate any suggestions.